Juebejue’s Dad sews – the furniture edition

My dad doesnt just sew – he makes furnitures! So one of the things he made was two couches that we used for as long as I could remember until I was at least 12 (had to leave them behind for grandparents when we moved). pic037 pic045 pic049 pic054

As you can see, he didnt have a picture of the couches specifically, but you can appreciate all the work that went into making those curved arm and piping for the edges from those shots, right? I still dont quite understand how he made those professional looking couches with the tools available back in the days – he made the whole thing, not just the slipcovers!

She’s here!!!

Little A finally arrived about a week ago!!! We are all doing very well, and little K is wonderful at being a big sister (and stealing all the spot lights!)




There’s just something wonderful about holding a newborn again – I think because we are more experienced this time (or this is an easier baby), I am able to really enjoy my time with her :)

Juebejue’s Dad sews for my Mom

Here’s some of the stuff my dad made for my mom:






I am pretty sure he made both the tops and bottoms in all the pictures above :) Its amazing that such a selfish seamstress (me) was born out of such a selfless seamster, no?? :)

Juebejue’s Dad Sews

Its been a while since I posted anything sewn by my dad back in the days. Here’s a few!

Red dress my dad made for me:


Layered skirt he made:


He made summer dress for me and a shirt for my grandma:


Poncho coat he made for me, with matching hat!


Its literally been decades since he made those for me to wear – funny thing is, i still remember how the fabric feels and how happy I was getting those clothing made for me – and I dont remember any of my store-bought clothing!

Balloon Dress in Action!

My less evil twin sister got married!! I didnt get to go to the wedding (too much strong Braxton contractions for me to feel comfortable about going) but from the pictures it looks like they had a blast! There are a lot of photos of her looking so awesome in the dress I made for her, making it a very very satisfying project for me in the end!

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.22.08 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.25.25 PM 1

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.26.27 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.23.07 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.23.55 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.25.41 PM 1

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.26.13 PM



All photo credit to Dave Donovan. Congratulations to my less evil twin sister and her new husband! :)

Khaleesi Inspired Dress

So I had my first last minute, “make it work” moment!! This happened more than a month ago but we didnt get around to photoing the dress until now. I had a wedding to go to on a Saturday afternoon. Its a formal wedding and I realized that the only dress thats somewhat formal that I can fit into right now is the blue rayon dress I made last pregnancy. Not a bad choice really, but I’ve grown to really dislike the top part of the dress. It made my boob area look a bit frumpy and the strapes were not well made at all – they twist around quite a lot. So on Thursday night, I started remaking the top part of the dress. Two problems: 1) with a little kid who doesnt want to sleep until at least 10pm, my sewing time is quite limited with the amount of sleep I need these days. 2) I couldnt find the same color rayon fabric and i didnt want to spend time remaking the skirt, so I had to go with a darker navy blue and be okay with a 2 toned dress.

But its okay, I worked on it for about an hour on Thursday and got a full 3 hours to work on it on Friday night. Another hour on Saturday morning and the dress is done!!! Its inspired by the dress Daenerys wore to her Dothraki wedding.

Once again, the bodice is made with McCall5652. The most time consuming part is really the 4 long straps I made – two attached to the upper part of the bodice and two to the side seams. It allows me to fit the dress to myself without any elastic or zippers though!

(there is a way to tie the straps so that i dont show as much skin too)

I am almost 39 weeks, and with all the Braxton contractions thats going on, I feel that i would go into labor very soon. Its hard to imagine that with little K we went 3.5 weeks more before delivering – i am SO ready NOW!

Seeing Double of Double

So, that last Rayon dress I made for little K quickly became her FAVORITE dress. To the point where she refuse to let us put it in the laundry bin. She especially love it when we are the “same” (matching). My mom requested that I make her another rayon dress since she had to hand wash the dress every day just so little K can wear it again sooner, and little K would immediately take off whatever she was wearing when she found that the dress was dry enough.

So I flipped through my remnant, and made another one :) this one matches a dress I made and shortened from last year. I had kept the part of skirt i cut off, and now its part of her new skirt. Otherwise its the same pattern as her last rayon dress :)

Now little K and I have two sets of matching dresses :) Mine fitted through month 6 – we get a lot of smiles from other mommies!

I am getting a little worried though – our #2 is a girl, which means hands me downs and at some point, #2 and I will match and I dont have more of the same fabric to make little K a new matching dress to these dresses! hopefully she wont be too jealous then :P I’ve used this excuse to buy 5 yards of rayon at the same time – at some point, we may have a triple match!


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 120 other followers