I am so excited to show you this – I made a parka coat with removable lining!
I have a lot of wool coats, and recently realized that i really enjoy wearing cotton coats in warm California winters – and they are a lot earlier to wear to trips (more foldable and was he able). So when I saw Vesna’s awesome orange parka – I immediately wanted to make one for myself.
It took a while to find the right shade of orange cotton twill, but i found them in fabric.com and bought 3 yards. The project got pretty nerve-wrecking towards the end – when it was completed i barely had a 5inchx5inch piece left! The lining were all Bemberg rayon lining, its my first time using it and i might be sold! The fur is from Joan’s and is very soft and slippery. The zippers and snaps and eyelets were found on ebay. It did took a while to find all the materials i needed and I had to order an extra packs of the snaps at the end because I keep messing up installing the smaller snaps.
Vesna’s version had the fur layer sewn into the lining. But California is so warm, I wanted a removeable fur lining. I also wanted lining for the base coats, and proper lining for the fur vest so I could wear the best standalone also. This means I had 4 layers of this coat to make! But the result is a 3-in-1 : thin parka, warm furry parka, and furry vest – press the right button on the instagram post to see the video of how it all snaps together!
View this post on Instagram
It is ALMOST done!!! Swipe right for video of detachable fur layer 😎 . . . This project was started around January 25th, and it’s taking almost 3 months to finish, probably the longest I’ve taken for a sewing project. It’s been a really tough few months, I usually use sewing to cope with stress but I didn’t have the time or the sewjo for a bit. It was tempting to just move on and take on a easier project, but at some point this coat became symbolic to the difficulties I was experiencing and I really wanted to finish it just the way I had envisioned. Things are better so I finally got to finish the inner fur lining this week. I am still working on a snap strip so that I can wear the fur layer as a vest, closed up. Unfortunately I ran out of snaps half way, so I am going to have to wait for an eBay shipment to finish this. But for now, I can wear it with removable fur lining!!!! #sewing #juebejuecopieskelerabeus #everybodycopieskelerabeus #theykilledkenny #asiansewists #imakemyownclothes #burda012016
I first of course, made the outer parka. There are a lot of details.
Of course – embroidered label in the lining:
Little rope tail things (what do you call this?)
Clinched waist – can you tell i love white ropes in my projects?
This time I also made a small “JueBeJue” logo for an arm patch, i love how it looks!!
Below are some pictures without the fur lining, the coat fits pretty well, and the rayon lining is superbly comfortable and slippery. I dont remember what adjustments I made 100% now, but even with the pattern printed @ 91%, it was a little big on the shoulders. I think i would want to print it smaller if I were to do it again. I also took off 2 inches in the torso somewhere…
For the vest itself – because I needed it to be a little more fitted (didnt want all the fur bunching), so it took it in from the side quite a bit. Also, because the snaps on the vest were all the mail snaps, they couldnt snap together in vest form. So I made a male-male adapter (yes I am an engineer) by making a strip with 2 rows of female snaps. It works decently, though its a pain to snap those things up and down. if I were to do this again I might opt for thin separating zippers instead.
The coat is quite warm when the fur layer is in! I love the option this coat gives me, and its a perfect coat for taking on our camping trips. I always feel just warm enough!
I hope you love this coat as much as I do! Thank you for reading!